Episcopal Cross


In 1907, the City Mission Society of the Episcopal Diocese of New York and member Mrs. William Greer raised $600 to commission and erect a granite cross bearing the inscription “He Calleth His Own By Name” on the base. Manufactured by the Harrison Granite Company, the base is four feet by four feet and the foundation is six feet by six feet deep. In his dedication later in 1907, Bishop Doane declared: “in putting this cross here, among these graves of the nameless and unknown children of men, that it shelter their dust in its sacred shadow.” The cross overlooks the burials of generations of New Yorkers going back to the first civilian burial of Louisa Van Slyke in 1869.

The Hart Island Project © 2024
Website by Webmine