Civil War Morgue
The foundation of a building at this location matches photographs that identify the building as a civil war morgue. It is unknown whether this morgue was used to identify the remains of Civil War Veterans disinterred from Soldiers Cemetery (see location 6) or it was used to process Union and Confederate Soldiers who died during training or incarceration on Hart Island. The location at the north end of Hart Island was near many Civil War structures that were repurposed by the City until the early 20th Century. This structure may have survived demolition a little longer until 1941 when all Civil War veterans were removed for reburial at Cypress Hills National Cemetery. During this period, the US Army leased the northern part of Hart Island for training and discipline of troops in preparation for World War II.